Tips for Choosing the Best Criminal Defense Attorney
Choosing the wrong counsel to represent you in a criminal case might have serious consequences for your future. We recommend that you make your decision carefully. Here are three guidelines for evaluating criminal defence attorneys in San Francisco.
Tip #1: Make a comparison of your previous experiences.
Shere are three ways to assess a lawyer candidate’s experience, and all three should be considered:
- Years of experience The type of counsel you may expect from a lawyer with one year of experience vs a lawyer with decades of experience is vastly different. A highly experienced lawyer can quickly adapt to new conditions by drawing on previous court experiences.Do you want to learn more? Visit Stroleny Law, P.A.
- Knowledge of the San Francisco Bay Area. It’s crucial to have a lot of experience, but make sure it’s in the same area as your trial. A criminal defence attorney in San Francisco is significantly better prepared to handle the needs of a Northern California client, giving you a strategic advantage in the courtroom by familiarising yourself with the judges and prosecutors involved in your case.
- Expertise in the field. There are over a hundred different legal practise areas, each with hundreds or thousands of different laws and processes. Limit your search to attorneys who specialise in criminal defence.
Tip #2: Examine the principle and the manner.
These characteristics are more difficult to assess objectively, but they are crucial to the success of your attorney-client relationship. The following are some things to think about when it comes to a criminal defence attorney’s philosophy and communication style in San Francisco:
- Active participation in the case. Without a San Francisco criminal defence lawyer’s personal and direct attention throughout your case, a solid defence is impossible to achieve. Choose a lawyer who will be actively involved in the case and in regular contact with you until it is resolved.
- Compassion and honesty. Choose an attorney who will treat you with respect, as if you were a paying customer. You deserve to work with a lawyer that actually cares about you and recognises the importance of your case.
- Adaptability. Choose a lawyer who has a track record of acting quickly with a strategy and implementation plan, as well as replying to messages swiftly. When your future is on the line, this isn’t a minor consideration.
Comparing track records is Tip #3.
We have an impact on the lives of others as we go through life. Look at their background and ask yourself if their performance in past instances gives you trust in them when hiring a criminal defence attorney. Consider the following:
- A good track record. Examine previous cases to learn who has already entrusted the lawyer with their litigation and representation. Look for any honours or recognitions from peers, such as being named a Super Lawyer or being rated AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, which signifies the highest levels of professionalism and ethics.